· 8 Directions, every 45 degrees
· Hi-Z 4-8PRO as a new install with Hi-Z PLUS-6 amps
· Field upgrade of existing Hi-Z 4 systems to Hi-Z 4-8PRO UP
· Pushing the envelope of best performance in the smallest possible footprint
· Substantially reduced signal attenuation at directional overlap points
· 160, 80, 40 meters coverage
· E-Probe design, no need for radials (we do not use passive elements)
· Uses the same area of the Hi-Z 4 (80ft. sq.) footprint or 113 foot diameter circle, just add 4 more elements
Special note: The 4-8PRO can be scaled to fit in a smaller footprint for more space restricted locations with only a very minimal decrease in 160 meter performance. The smallest area that can be accomplished is a 42.5 foot radius or 85 foot diameter circle.
From years of design excellence and pushing the boundaries, we came up with a no compromise design. Trying to use a 4 element system for 8 directions creates too many compromises and limited performance typically in the 4 directions at 45 degrees to the diagonals. This was not an option. The standard 4 element RX array system has an inherent weakness at the 4 overlap points. For example, when clicking between NE and SE directions, trying to listen to a signal from the East, this signal would typically be down by >4db as it is in the overlap region. The goal was to have the directional RDF of the standard Hi-Z 4 (12.2RDF) in 8 directions with minimal attenuation at the overlap. Another design goal was to make it upgradeable with existing Hi-Z 4 installs as simple as possible. Since the Hi-Z 4 is typically installed in an 80 foot square pattern (this is a 113.12 foot diameter circle), one only needs to add the 4 additional elements in-between the existing 4 elements. This will maintain the same radius for all elements.
The plots below compare the attenuation at the overlap of the 4 element to the overlap of the 8 element design. The 8 element plot shows the overlap points attenuation to be only ~1db. Therefore one gains >3db at the overlap points, not to mention the 8 direction control.
4 Element overlap pattern Hi-Z 4-8PRO overlap pattern
8 Circle Array Layout of Verticals